A most Flavorful meal! Microwave any leftovers the next day.
FOR SERVING: optional
3-4 cups (474-632 g) cooked brown rice
1 lb (450 g) extra-firm tofu
4 Tbsp (60 ml) tamari or soy sauce
1 tsp chili garlic sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp (15 ml) coconut sugar or maple syrup
4-5 Tbsp (28-35 g) cornstarch
2 Tbsp (30 ml) canola oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 large cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
1 Tbsp (6 g) ginger, minced
1 Tbsp (15 ml) rice vinegar (or sub white vinegar)
1/4 cup (48 g) coconut sugar or maple syrup, plus more to taste
3 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce,
1/3 cup water
1 Tbsp (15 ml) sesame oil
4 green onions, chopped
1 large red or yellow pepper, thinly sliced.
1 Tbsp red pepper sauce (sriracha sauce) or 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce
optional: Sesame seeds, for garnish
1. Prepare the rice and broccoli.
2. Chop green onions, garlic, and ginger . Set aside.
3. Prepare sauce by combining sesame oil, cornstarch, minced garlic, minced ginger, rice vinegar, coconut sugar or maple syrup, tamari or soy sauce, and water in a small mixing bowl and whisk thoroughly to combine.
4. Unwrap tofu, rinse under cold water; dry well in a towel to remove moisture and cut into even pieces, about 3/4-inch cubes.
5. Add tofu to a shallow mixing bowl and top with tamari or soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, sesame oil, and maple syrup. Toss to combine. Let rest 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Use a slotted spoon or fork to transfer tofu to a quart-size or large freezer bag. Add cornstarch 1 Tbsp at a time and toss to coat. Continue adding more cornstarch and tossing until tofu is coated in a white sticky layer- about 5 Tbsp.
7. Heat a large metal or cast iron skillet over medium heat.
Add 2 Tbsp canola oil and heat for 30 seconds. Then use a slotted spoon or fork to add tofu to the pan.
8. Cook on all sides until light golden brown. Remove tofu from pan. Set aside.
9. Return skillet to burner and increase heat to medium-high. Add 1 Tbsp sesame oil, chopped green onions and sliced peppers . Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
10. Add the sauce and tofu with the red pepper sauce or garlic sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, to coat the tofu and vegetables for 2 minutes, or until warmed the sauce has slightly thickened.
11. Remove pan from heat and add sesame seeds (optional). Toss to coat.
12. Serve with rice and steamed broccoli (optional).